Friday, May 25, 2007

Rubbing away the stress

I'm getting a massage today. I am SO freaking excited. It's a freebie 15 minute massage offered by my client, who's office I work out of right now. This is something they offer once a month and all employees can sign up for about 10 open spots. Apparently there was some extra time because she came over and asked me if I wanted one. WOO HOO!

Massages are healthy. I've never had a "real" massage. I grew up with a mom that would do back massages all the time. I knew it was cool and all, but didn't realize how much it really made a difference until they weren't around anymore. I'm stiff all the time. Not in an obvious way, but when folks grab my shoulders or something they'll comment on it sometimes. It's worse in my lower back, but folks don't normally touch there to even notice. Once before the office masseur had an extra 5 min in her schedule and gave me a quickie massage here at the office. She commented on it. She almost sounded worried.

Keeping all that tension/crap/stress all built up in your back is - say it with me class - NOT HEALTHY! Exactly. It makes working out harder. I get all sorts of extra pain for no good reason. And then there is that whole thing about how stress takes years off your life.

So, I may not be willing to plunk down the bucks to get an hour massage yet, but today I'll be getting a very happy 15 minutes. Maybe it will inspire me to be better about this area of health. Maybe I'll just have to go arrange some time to go visit my mom.

No comments: