Wednesday, May 23, 2007

My ecological footprint as of today

I knew this wasn't going to be good, but it still stung a bit to see it.

CATEGORY - ACRES
FOOD - 6.9
MOBILITY - 1.5
SHELTER - 8.6
GOODS/SERVICES - 9.1
TOTAL FOOTPRINT - 26
IN COMPARISON, THE AVERAGE ECOLOGICAL FOOTPRINT IN YOUR COUNTRY IS 24 ACRES PER PERSON. WORLDWIDE, THERE EXIST 4.5 BIOLOGICALLY PRODUCTIVE ACRES PER PERSON.

IF EVERYONE LIVED LIKE YOU, WE WOULD NEED 5.9 PLANETS.

Ouch huh? It's not a pretty picture. For a question about flying I there were two options - about 3 hours a year or No flying at all. Well, I'd love to fly more honestly - but I never go on vacation! Unfortunately I can't blame it all on that. Feel free to go here to check out your own footprint. There are no bonuses for recycling (which I do), wearing hemp (ok, only have one shirt) or organic cotton (not like I have any yet) or buying organic produce (which I do all the time). And what about not using plastic bags! Ok, I'm still using them, but I'm buying canvas bags shortly and there wasn't even a question about it! I'm guessing that's because those are the little things we do to make ourselves feel better - like we're making an impact. And while there certainly is some impact there, it's not quite the same impact as riding a bike to work. Or driving a Prius. Dang I want a Prius. Sigh...

No comments: