Friday, June 1, 2007

Paper or plastic - or neither one?


I shopped for the first time without using plastic grocery bags. It was awesome. I used one big "keeps hot stuff hot or cold stuff cold" bag that I'd bought some time ago - and actually had used once before for grocery shopping at a store across town - but only so the food would stay cool on the way home. It wasn't made for ecological purposes.

So, I used my giant blue "keep stuff cold" bag and a black mesh bag that I've used for tons of things in the past, and appears to be made ideally for the beach. It wasn't a gigantic shopping trip, but not exactly small either. And I packed everything into those bags. With some room to spare in the blue bag. I will definitely need to get a few more bags - which was always a plan. I think K is more accepting of it now too. It was cool to see that what would have been 6-8 bags was all held in these 2 bags. No cart needed and easy to take into the house. Quite convenient.

But I found some plastic bags that I just couldn't shake. The plastic bags in the produce section where you put your apples/onions/pears/lettuce. Not sure what good options there are for that. Not putting them in a bag doesn't work well because they have to be grouped, weighed and moved easily by the check out person. And I really don't want them loose in the cart or dragged along the counter w/ who knows what on it. So, they need to be separated, but in see through containers that bring no additional weight to the table. Crap. Maybe something mesh? But dang - that could require quite a few bags.

So while I haven't removed myself from ALL plastic bags - no more plastic shopping/carry out bags. Just produce bags. Any good ideas on that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin,

I have the 365 Days 365 Ways Blog and since I just received your comment on my blog I decided to return the favor and comment on YOUR blog. My advice for your plastic bag delimma is to head to your local farmer's market! You can support your local farmers, know how your food is grown (just ask them) hopefully as close to organic as possible -- I bring one bag and after my produce is weighed everything goes in that one bag. Good luck on your green venture!