Thursday, June 28, 2007

My green isn't so green


I have a confession to make. I live in Phoenix and I have grass in my backyard.

You may be disappointed in me. There is a part of me that shares your disappointment. Until I walk out on my thick lush grass, feeling each little blade on the bottom of my feet. Random bits bending between my toes. Ah... that is happiness.

Now, I water as rarely as possible. I have only a small part directly outside my door done in grass so I can enjoy it - but the rest is naturally xeroscaped and/or has pavers which allow water to go into the earth without requiring any additional water use. Really. I tried. But I couldn't escape the lure of the green lushness.

Today I walk outside and find that perhaps we've been under watering a bit as we've gone from having just one small yellow patch to having 4 large sized yellow patches. Not good. Yellow crunches below my feet - not squishes. And, once it's gone yellow it takes even more water and resources to bring it back. And I have no idea how to do that truly organically. I bought stuff at Home Depot that looked natural enough, but upon further review - most likely it's not the best choice.

So, tomorrow I'm going to start looking into organic options for my lawn. Heck, I might get wild and see if there is something I should be doing for the rest of these plants too besides just watering them. For now though - the focus is my green. Less than a week until July 4th and my green - isn't so green. I think it's trying to tell me something.

Sigh.... I'm listening.

No comments: