Saturday, April 26, 2008

Walking for health

There is a great organization out there called the Y-ME National Breast Cancer Organization. While other groups work to find a cure in the future, Y-ME's focus is on providing help to those who are fighting breast cancer today. Their 24 hour support line staffed by others who have beat cancer is absolutely invaluable. Their other services are equally amazing - but the best part is that they are all provided at absolutely no cost. Everything is funded through our personal fundraising. Y-ME has been around for 30 years

Last year I wanted to participate in their annual Walk to Empower. I had friends participating. The Girlfriend was walking in it too. But I didn't. Frankly, I wasn't sure if I'd be able to complete it. And who wants to be the fat girl sitting on the side of the street out of breath while the walking grannies speed walk right past you? Not me.

This year, I've registered to walk. Losing that weight (so far) and my trips to the gym (though recently those are a fond memory) has made me confident that I'll be able to finish this one.

I really encourage everyone to learn more about Y-ME. They really are an amazing organization. And if you're reading this before Mothers Day 2008, feel free to support me in the walk too. Because really, it's not supporting me so much as it is contributing to this great organization. My personal page, where you can also find out more about Y-ME, is http://main.y-me.org/goto/healthyorbust .

Let's keep focused on being healthy and keeping others healthy. One step at a time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at you! Already surpassing your goal. You'd better set that bar higher.

Geggie said...

OK, YOU...are pretty fabulous. You look amazing and I'm so impressed with your blog!

I have my own little weight struggle going and I haven't been winning over the past year.

I'm back on board working my new "healthy lifesyle" and damn, girl, if you aren't an inspiration!

Congrats!
Gayle -- friend of Brian's

Unknown said...

Wow Kristin - I'm very impressed and inspired by you. You've accomplished a lot so far but I'm also excited by ALL the differences you're making in the world around you. Thank you :)

~Amy - another friend of Brian :)

Anonymous said...

Hello, Kristin - I'm a reader of Brian's blog. All I have to say is..

HOLY CRAP!

You've made a significant change and it's made a real difference! Many congratulations! As someone trying to lose weight myself, I understand how hard it can be. To see someone have such success with it just gives me hope for myself.

Congratulations, and good luck with the Y-Me walk!